Friday, November 30, 2012

3 improvements for your handmade business that you can do right now


It doesn't matter if you just opened your shop or have been in the business for a few years, there is always something to improve or update. 
Every now and then, while browsing through the shops on Madeit  or doing some blog "hopping", I notice a few things that I would like to see but cannot find. These little things are easily missed when you have so much to do as a handmade business owner:

1. update your profile or About page - Yes, you can sell well without having 'About' section in your shop. I've seen so many shops on Madeit that do sell well but when I was looking for a designer to interview and couldn't find any info!
 Also, as a customer, I always click on the 'About' page first. I like knowing where the item came from and check out the blog or a Facebook page of that business. 
As for the blog, it is nice to see a picture of the designer/blogger. I wasn't sure if I want to have a picture of me on my blog for a long time but I did this year because I do like seeing a person behind my favourite blogs, don't you? 

2. Google analytics - great tool to keep track of the traffic to your shop or a blog. 
I don't know a lot about it, just enough to set it up and occasionally check my data and try make sense of it. 
It is really helpful and worth spending some time on to get to know all the details that I am still yet to do myself! 
Click here for more detailed info how analytics can help you in tracking your traffic etc.

3. put a search box on your blog - so important! Finding the old post quick helps me when I need to refer back to it on my own blog. Also, when I remember seeing something a while ago on my favourite blog and need to link to it in the post I write, it is very frustrating when you cannot find that post again. 
There are some free ones here but you can find plenty of others just by googling "search box for a blog".

Thus, here are the improvement that you can to do today:
* update your About page, tell the world why you create!
*put a picture of yourself on your blog (in About section)
*start a google analytics account
*install a search box on your blog
Quick and simple! 

Wise owl has a few tips to share with you next week so stay tuned...

Do you have any questions that you would like to ask a Wise Owl? 

3 comments:

  1. Great tips! I would love to know your thoughts about markets verses online selling of craft products. I'm thinking about stocking up and taking my jewellery to a craft market. It sells well online, but I'm not sure how well it would sell at a market and if it is worth the time commitment and financial outlay for table, props etc. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you wise owl! i just went and installed a search box in my blog. i always look for one when reading other blogs, but didn't have one on mine!!! thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tips Katia. I've just added more info to my About page in my madeit store ~
    www.madeit.com.au/SqueezeCuddles

    from Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment!

I do read every single comment you leave and appreciate it very much!