It's been just over 5 months since I decided to embark on this journey - becoming a vegetarian (note: we still eat seafood). I've tried going vegetarian last year but maybe because I didn't have enough information or maybe my mind wasn't set for it and body not ready for a change, I failed. This time, fifth month into it, I feel confident that I can do it and I've got full support of Mr. Plushkin who, to my surprise, fully embraced this lifestyle change with me.
The best thing that I've done before making this decision is researching and purchasing this great book "Transition to Vegetarianism" by Rudolph Ballentine. There are a lot of facts and figures to be taken in regarding the meat production, global food shortage and what actually goes into our food! It's better for me, it's better for the planet and why not leave in a bit more sustainable way....
I would like to mention that this post is not to convert anyone into changing their diet. I thought it will be nice to write about my vegetarian journey, share with you and maybe who've done it or going through the same, can relate to my experience.
The most common question people ask me is "Don't you crave meat?". I say no, my mind is set on this and I am glad that my body responded in the positive way. There are no craving as I don't take this as a diet, it's a lifestyle change. I know that some people are worried about nutritional value of vegetarian food and, again, this book is great in explaining what needs to be included in your diet so you get all the vitamins and protein you need.
I would like to mention that this post is not to convert anyone into changing their diet. I thought it will be nice to write about my vegetarian journey, share with you and maybe who've done it or going through the same, can relate to my experience.
The most common question people ask me is "Don't you crave meat?". I say no, my mind is set on this and I am glad that my body responded in the positive way. There are no craving as I don't take this as a diet, it's a lifestyle change. I know that some people are worried about nutritional value of vegetarian food and, again, this book is great in explaining what needs to be included in your diet so you get all the vitamins and protein you need.
Please don't think it was a smooth sailing so far and I don't really advertise for everyone to do it. I know people get very defensive when I talk about my new lifestyle and sometimes they don't hold back their opinion. However, so far, I only met a few people who refused to understand why I am doing this and I felt like I get bullied for going against the "norm".
The biggest challenge for me was cooking! I straggled with finding new recipes that I can make and like. That's why I bought this book "Vegetarian, 141 recipes celebrating fresh, seasonal ingredients"" by Alice Hart. The funny fact about me - I cannot cook without a picture! I would be a horrible cook in the times when all cookbooks were just words. Thus, this book is perfect, there are so many pictures and, most importantly, this book also educates about nutritional value and so enjoyable to look through!
The other book that is still on my wish list is "River cottage, veg everyday". It's was such a great TV series that I cannot wait to get my mittens on this one! I already made a few dishes and absolutely loved the recipes.
Second challenge for me was stay off pasta and don't eat seafood everyday just because it's easier. I explore and learn more about different vegetables everyday and recently found some great blogs that helped me:
Two Blue Lemons
One day, I would like to be vegan for a few months but, being Russian, I love my sour cream so that would be quite a challenge...
The other book that is still on my wish list is "River cottage, veg everyday". It's was such a great TV series that I cannot wait to get my mittens on this one! I already made a few dishes and absolutely loved the recipes.
Second challenge for me was stay off pasta and don't eat seafood everyday just because it's easier. I explore and learn more about different vegetables everyday and recently found some great blogs that helped me:
Two Blue Lemons
One day, I would like to be vegan for a few months but, being Russian, I love my sour cream so that would be quite a challenge...
Thank you for reading!
Are you a vegetarian/vegan? I would love to hear your experience and if you have any favourite cooking books/websites, please share.
Are you a vegetarian/vegan? I would love to hear your experience and if you have any favourite cooking books/websites, please share.






Hi Plushka, I am on reverse journey , I am trying to find meat dishes which I can cook for my toddler as she likes it... so I can't offer Indian veg food to her everyday :) Have you tried making Indian Veg food?
ReplyDelete