Thank you everyone who left a comment on my first Plushka’s fabric stash post. It was so interesting to hear your opinion on the importance of the stash size!
There are a few things that I certainly agree with everyone on:
* a good size stash helps you create by allowing you to start a projects straight away when the inspiration strikes.
* looking through the stash gives you ideas
* Quality over quantity - a well thought through stash will save you money in the long run! When you have all the fabric you need for a project, it means you don’t have to run back and forth to the local fabric shop and buy more then you should every time!
Thus, I can safely define a balanced, well thought through stash as a stash that is colour coordinated, has many “basic” fabrics that can be used for the lining or bias and has different style fabrics to inspire different ideas.
I asked a few fellow crafters about their fabric shopping styles, the size of their stash and weither or not, in their opinion, it is important for a handmade business to have a newly released prints to offer it's customers......
Here what creative ladies said:
“I usually buy fabric monthly and I buy it from all over the place! There is a huge choice online and you can access fabric from all over the world. Whenever I can I also like to support my local brick and mortar quilting and sewing shops. It nice to be able to get advice and help in person and there is nothing quite like seeing and feeling fabric in a shop, it's something you can't do online. I absolutely love searching for specific prints and I usually don't stop until I find what I need.
I'm not really sure if i have a big stash or not? I've never really compared to anyone else. For me quality is far more important that quantity. Many of the cute Japanese fabrics i buy are extremely good quality and that comes with a price so i tend to buy smaller amounts of those. I have a huge variety, but i keep mainly small pieces.
I think it's nice to offer something different to what every one else is offering. I will avoid buying certain fabric if i am seeing it used by lots of other handmade businesses. Part of the attraction to handmade is the uniqueness after all”. -
Cassandra, Three kittens
“I buy my fabric in large amounts. I buy approximately two bolts or more of each ‘main’ fabric that makes up the bulk of a collection. I buy approx. 5 – 6 yards of ‘minor’ coordinating fabrics. I buy all of it online from all around the world.
I think people would be surprised at how small my stash actually is. I have two little shelves that are what I refer to as my ‘Treasure Shelves’ which basically contain very special fabrics that are for me. then everything else I have in stock are large quantities for my Georgie Girl items. I don’t have very much left over once I’ve finished bolts so it turns over very quickly as a general rule.
Absolutely not! In my experience, customers don’t care if fabrics are the ‘latest thing’ out or if they are older, discontinued collections. As long as something is appealing to the eye and appropriate when applied to the items you are creating, that seems to be the main thing. Quite often the newly released fabrics are being used by lots and lots of businesses and so if you can find something unique and not so easily available, you can come up with a unique looking line. That’s half the challenge of fabric shopping and creating – searching far and wide for something different!”
- Tina, George girl
- Tina, George girl
"I buy our fabrics by the meter online and then bolt it up myself. This can be anywhere from 5-15 meters per design. Now that we have permanent linen ranges on offer I need to have a minimum in the cupboard to feel comfortable and in order! We currently have 7 ranges available, some consisting of 3 fabric designs and some 2, so we have a fairly large stash always ready and available.
Yes, I do think it's important, although it can depend on what your business specializes in. For us, since we offer our own ranges, I like to keep the customers interested by throwing in limited/new designs here and there while we still offer our usual fabric designs. I do find however most customers are after particular colours and themes rather than new prints." - Lauren, Boondie baby
"I buy my fabric whenever I am inspired and see something I have to have - online, in stores, in op shops, at markets... sometimes Im searching for a particular print or colour, other times I just see something I am drawn to and have to have it in my stash even though I might have no idea what Im going to do with it!
I do have a rather large stash... growing by the minute!
Yes, I think its important to have newly released prints to keep your store fresh and enticing for customers!"
- Nicole, Bubby Makes Three
- Nicole, Bubby Makes Three
We would love to know what your answer to those questions would be!
How do you buy your fabric?
Do you have a big stash?
Do you think it is important to own a substantial stash for a handmade business?








I buy my fabric when I feel inspired by a particular print or design I see! So buying is kind of an impulsive, spur of the moment decision for me and I usually come up with my collections that way. I think it is good to look for something different when you are running a handmade business but not necessary. After all, sometimes fabrics are just so gorgeous that I can't help buying them, knowing full well everyone else will be too. The challenge for me is then creating something very different and look at the fabrics in a different way to others. I don't have a big stash, as I buy limited quantities even for collections. I am in a constant buzz of creative inspiration, that I quickly flit from project to project. It's how I work and I am happiest doing this. I like to do once off pieces, so that is how I tend to begin; by limiting myself with fabrics. I don't believe it is necessarily important to have a substantial stash to have a handmade business but a reasonable collection is indeed very handy! And I think the biggest thing to keep in a stash are your basic coordinates, things you can use for linings etc That part I find for me is important. I would love to have a bigger stash, but I love trying out all the newest fabrics as they come out, so that and budget reasons is also probably why my stash is smaller. I also have a personal stash, where I keep things for me and future projects. All in all, I believe your stash is a personal thing and should reflect your own creative process - that is when the magic happens!
ReplyDeleteI buy most of my fabric online as yardage from the USA and Japan. Due to my stash getting out of control, I now like to see if a fabric will 'work' for what I have in mind for it before buying large quantities. Design size and spacing along with the thickness of the fabric are very important to me. Where possible, I will pop into a local store to assess a fabric before ordering yardage from overseas. Often I just have to risk that a design will work for me - and if it doesn't suit the purpose I had in mind then I have to think of another way to use it! I have access to several good local fabric stores, but generally only buy smaller quantities of fabric there. A couple of times I've bought the last 'fat 1/8th' of a long discontinued fabric at my local fabric store, had it be a raving success at my next market and then spent many late evenings at the computer trying to identify what the design name is and to locate more. I've become quite the fabric hound when required - I love the challenge!
ReplyDeleteMy fabric stash is far too big. I'm in the process of downsizing my stash and only keeping the better quality fabrics - I've become a lot more discerning after a few years of running my business. I'm currently trying not to buy too many more fabrics, or if I must, only buying smaller quantities - which is particularly hard when buying from the USA and trying to resist the temptation of filling a flat rate envelope.
I think the size and shape of the stash required depends on the sort of business you have. For me personally, I don't need bolts and bolts of each design, but do need a wide range of fabrics to provide variety. That being said, if I find a fabric that I deem a 'winner' I will buy up whatever I can find of it, in every colourway. I've done that for about six different designs now and am so pleased that I did (even though quite a few friends questioned my sanity at the time!) Some designs will be perennially popular, others are very seasonal - the trick is to learn to discern between the two. Buying smaller quantities of a wider range of fabric ensures greater variety for my customers, and for me - as cute as some designs are I do sometimes get tired of them. I am complimented on my range of fabric at nearly every market I do, which makes me happy. I do love my fabric!