Monday, August 16, 2010

Nostalgia

Most often I go to the Russian shop when I feel a nostalgia and have a craving for a particular food. It's well known that the first thing people miss when they move to another country, besides friends and family, is food.
I really miss buckwheat, beetroot soup (borshch), smocked mussels, caviar and sometimes pickled tomatoes and cucumbers (No, they do not taste the same as German gerkins!). Sometimes I go there just because hearing the greeting in my language makes me feel very special.

On my shopping list:

buckwheat
Did you know that buckwheat is a very healthy alternative to rice? Diets that contain buckwheat have been linked to lowered risk of developing high cholesterol and high blood pressure. You can find it in some health stores, organic shop and, most certainly, in the Russian shop. It tastes lovely with the soy source.
Pacific saury
This fish is very poplular is Russian cuisine as well is in Japan and Korea. It's as nutritious as salmon and I love it!
roasted sunflower seeds
chocolate from the Moscow region

What would you miss if you move to another country? or you already moved here from somewhere far away?
I would love to hear your story!


1 comment:

  1. вот и нашла ответ на мой же вопрос - вы из России!
    Я тоже русская,но живу в Молдове.
    Люблю ваших сов. Любовь к матрешкам разделяю.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment!

I do read every single comment you leave and appreciate it very much!