Sunday, March 7, 2010

"All buttoned up" GIVEAWAY

I love buttons (as you probably know from this post:) That is why this month's GIVEAWAY is called "All buttoned up"!
I love reading and researching about crafts and their history. I can be a bit nerdy sometimes but I prefer calling myself curious:) I think it's just the university past that still hunts me. So, I googled history of the buttons and here is a tiny fragment of what I found:

"According to button expert Colleen Miller, during the French Revolution buttons were such an important part of the country's trade, the industry that manufactured them was considered an essential service.
The word button appeared from either the French bouton for bud or bouter to push. Whatever the basis for the word, the French were quick to spot the potential of the buttons with great artistry, much to the delight of the aristocracy who passed laws to limit buttons permitted for common usage to thread-or cloth-covered buttons. As a result, the button became a status symbol, and not just for fastening cloths but, once more, as adornment". If you are as nerdy (sorry, curious) as me read more on history of the button here.

Now on the "All buttoned up" GIVEAWAY....I am giving away 3 of my cross-stitched buttons for a lucky winner to adorn and personalize her cloths, bags or kid's wear!




Rules are simple: leave a comment telling me what you are going to stitch my button on, which one you like the most and if you know more interesting facts about buttons, please, share!

Want an extra entry? You can receive an extra entry when you:

- Post about this giveaway on your own blog
- Join up to follow my blog
-Already following my blog (thanks lovely 30 people who already did that)
- make a purchase from my Madeit or Etsy shop between now and next Monday the 15st of March. More items will be listed tomorrow in the Madeit shop!

Please provide a link to your posting/blog when you leave your comment.
I would love to visit your blog too:)

I’ll pick a winner on Monday and will post the winner on Tuesday (16 of March).
Good luck!

23 comments:

  1. Hello! I've been terribly out of touch and I apologize! Your buttons are gorgeous. I've been seeing them and your appliques around blogland!

    I'm sorry I've got no button facts for you, but I do love them. Of these, I'm a sucker for linen but I the little chick is the best. I'm not quite sure what I'd put them on yet, but I know I'd find just the right space.

    happy crafting. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Katia, well i would be replacing the buttons i bought from you via Retro Mummy which were stolen/ taken whatever, i don't have them. I was going to make one into a shepherds crook brooche for a scarf in our Winter which is pretty long. I'll get more either way when i see you at Handmade.
    My button fact, um, military of course,

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH how lovely, thanks for a lovely giveaway Katia. Already a happy follower & customer (through Retro Mummy) but they were stolen, so starting from scratch.
    I was going to put the button on a shepherd crook to hold a pashmina in place around my neck.
    Button fact - the loop which you sew through to secure them is called a shank.
    Love your work & see you at Handmade, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katia! I'm Alison, I recently purchased your gorgeous little crochet baskets on madeit. I saw your card with your blog address, and here I am! Recently following too!

    Gorgeous buttons, my fave is the little pink bird. I'd sew them on to a little bag I am making for one of my girls, might even use it to close a pocket, not just for decoration.

    I don't have any real button facts, except that the Brad Pitt character in the Benjamin Button movie inherited his fathers button factory which made him a fortune. There is money in buttons!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the bird!! i would use it on a hair pretty for my girls

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the one with the squirrel and I would probably put it in the middle of one of my hair flowers for my daughter. I love them all though :)
    Should have taken notes on who was going to be at Mathilda's last Saturday, I would have come up and said hi. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katia! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I'm glad you did because now I've found yours :) I just stopped by your Madeit shop - so much cute stuff, love it all!

    Super sweet buttons - my fave is the pink bird. I would sew her onto the dress of a doll I have hand-stitched, it would make a perfect finishing touch (you can see the doll so far here: http://honeyjumble.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello-dolly.html)

    I did a little Google search for button facts and here is a cracker - "The number of them and what they were made out of became a status symbol. It has been rumored that King Louis XIV of France spent over $5 million on them in his lifetime". WOWSERS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your buttons are fab!
    What to do with such gorgeous buttons - I think they would stand out well on my black fitted jacket.
    Now...button facts - I have none but want to make up something witty but my brain is still sleeping...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love the top button and it would adorn one of my handmade hessian bags for my own personal use. Omg but I love squirrels too... Nope definitely the top one because of the gorgeous color combo which is so me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh lovely giveaway! It's hard to choose, but I would pick the pink bird and make a bag especially to match it! Buttons are the new zips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh they are all beautiful! i'm a sucker for squirrels but i don't think i can go past the little bird on the linen as my fave. i'm doing 'wardrobe refashion' at the moment and getting ready for winter so would use those darling buttons in adorning a wintery cardigan refashion, probably black.

    hmmm... a fact. i just tried to google world record number of buttons and came up with the world record holder for collecting belly button fluff! (Graham Barker)

    ReplyDelete
  12. All your buttons are so sweet! I would love a random selection of those cuties to adorn a jacket for my little boy or a hair tie for me or maybe I could sew them on a quilt... oh, the possibilities are endless!

    I just found out that - "It is unlikely that we will discover the terminus ante quem of the button, but artistic evidence leads us to the conclusion that it arose as an upper-class men's collar fastening in the early 1400s. By 1500, the button is exclusively male, fully developed and the direction of opening is standardized so as not to interfere with drawing a sword over the left hip with the right hand." I didn't know that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your buttons
    i'm making a bag at the moment and a button would be the perfect finishing touch!!

    gill

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely blog you have!! I would love to pop one of you sweet button on my fav bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, these would lovely up my daughters Easter coat. and so much fun, that i would be able to take them off again and use them over and over to cute up her outfits! i love the top birdie, they are all so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are sooooooooo cute. Hmm I think I would sew them onto outfits I make for my first grand child due next month.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am partial to the squirrel and would use it on a felted knitted purse.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would make a feature of the first button on a special dress for my Granddaughter........
    Did you know....the word button is from the French word bouton, meaning bud or knob - buttons, as ornaments, date back several thousand years...also there is a very large button "club" on the internet called "Buttonbytes". It is available at no cost to anyone interested in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These buttons are so cute!, I love them, I just found you via the badskirt blog, and am off to have a look at more of your stuff. I would love to make a sweet little dress for my 1 year old daughter with these buttons, I love the squirrel, and the yellow chick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, L-O-V-E the buttons! I would love to use them for a tea pot applique that I am going to do for my neice' birthday!
    I love the bright yellow, but I also lov the contrasting red on the first one!
    I don't have any button knowlege, I just know how hard of a time I have sewing them!
    I am a new follower;}

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi I just love the buttons that you make. If I win the buttons I am going to use them for the first knitted cardigan that I made for my only son who is 1 year old. I just finished the cardigan and the little buttons would make it even extra special!!! I am also a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The buttons are adorable. I am having a hard time deciding which I like best--either the pink bird or the squirrel. I would probably use them on my daughter's clothing once I was ready to stop just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment!

I do read every single comment you leave and appreciate it very much!