Previously on "Plushka's Story":
10 things I learned after 3 years in handmade business...
* * * * * *
When I just started writing this post last week, I thought that it is a great opportunity for me to review a year that getting closer to an end. Thus, I took my time, thought about things and I came to a few conclusions.
10 things I learned after 3 years in handmade business...
* * * * * *
I am going to share with you some of my plans and changes that I need to make next year in order to stay a part of the handmade community and give something back too.
There is always a moment during a year when I feel that something need to be adjusted for the business to thrive, like trimming trees for them to grow, I need to "trim" my business, get rid of those small twigs that make my business look untidy and get on the way.
There is always a moment during a year when I feel that something need to be adjusted for the business to thrive, like trimming trees for them to grow, I need to "trim" my business, get rid of those small twigs that make my business look untidy and get on the way.
There is always one area that lacks any handmade maker's attention as a lot of us are one woman band.
I myself a creative and hardworking but not a super woman so I need to learn how to let go of a few things and prioritize. Thus, next year I need to..
Fix:
- to get a courage to raise prices to the level that will reflect my skills and time I spend on making each item.- postage price review as I still loose a lot on a postage!
Do less of:
- reduce customer orders to have more time to grow my business.
Do more of:
- write more DIYs for the blog.
- get to know my customers better by having more time to "chat", catch up and maybe even teach?
- get to know my customers better by having more time to "chat", catch up and maybe even teach?
Grow:
- achieve 100 sales on Etsy (I have 13 at the moment. Ambitious?)
- visit at least 2 conferences/blogging events
- learn a new skill
- complete 2 secret projects that I cannot reveal yet;)
Draw more attention to:
- marketing
Which area/s of your business needs more of your attention?






God, you basically typed out my list verbatim. Thanks for giving me a kick up the butt! Good luck with your growth.
ReplyDeleteYou've given me a kick up the butt too. I need to make a list of a set range of designs/patterns and stick to it. I need to do less "sure I can make that" even though it's not my usual product range. I need to organise my time better with family commitments so I have more time to focus on my business. I need to sew more and buy less random fabrics so my range works. I need to spend more time setting up my shop rather than trying to rely on facebook.
ReplyDeleteYou are an inspiration - good luck with your growth plans for 2013
There is so much that I need to do with my little business which is still only a hobby at the moment. I too need to put alot more into the marketing side of things and I would love to do a few market stalls as well.
ReplyDeleteI need to sit down and workout what Bits & Bobs 4 Bubs is really about and start streamling my products. Lots to think about for 2013
Postage is a hard one. My sisters both run a handmade business each, and I know that for a long time they had trouble charging the full price for postage. They "felt bad" because Australia Post's prices were so high, when reality is that it is not realistic to be paying for your customers to receive their goods.
ReplyDeleteI hope your business continues to grow, xox
As long as you're charging what postage really costs, nobody minds. It's the people that charge too much that make me change my mind regarding a purchase. Making patterns is a winner 'cos if they're pdfs there is no added cost..it's all profit...like those phone apps that are only .99cents..you can make decent money after the initial cost.
ReplyDeleteHi Katia, I have reduced my postage by using couriers. I buy big quantities of coupons which is an outlay $$$, but it cheaper as I can send 10 cushions for the same price as 2. Better for the customer. Although couriers can be naughty at times!! Look into that :) Your list is similar to mine. One thing I have never been afraid to do is charge what I deserve. Time to print & cut& prepare, combined with custom orders etc is all time consuming. For the first time this year I hired a machinist so I can concentrate on other things. It was scary to let go, but it's great as she is a fellow handmade Melbourne business owner & welcomed the extra work. I am trying to get to 500 sales on Etsy, getting there slowly 433. Your work is great & I hope your stick with your goals in order to grow.
ReplyDeleteKylie xx