picture from here
Busy Christmas season is upon us and a lot of handmade business makers and designers are madly sewing/gluing/cutting to fulfill the demand, keep the shops stocked or getting ready for the markets.
This is a dangerous season for a creative burnout!
That is why I have been trying to find quick ways to re-ignite the spark in 1-2 hour or 24 hours tops that will keep me creating before taking a break.
So, what does cause the burnout?
- constantly working to a deadline
- working solo and trying to do it all
- messy surroundings with fabric scraps everywhere
- orders piling up
- "What I am doing this all for?", moment of self-doupt
- all of the above together at the same time!
That what worked for me so far:
- cleaning the workplace. If you have being reading my blog for some time, you know I clean up my studio, rearrange fabric or de-clutter quite often. Let me tell you a secret, I am not a tidy person so that is not why I am cleaning. That is my way of dealing with the stress and frustration and it does work wonders.
- get out of the studio for a few hours even if orders are piling up. I don't really have fixed working hours or a day when I don't make anything. Creating for me is a natural and even a necessary thing to do. It's very easy for me to be making non stop without a day off. However, I do realize that I need a break from any activity, even a very enjoyable one like making cute critters. I came to this conclusion only a few months ago and taking half day off a week is now a compulsory thing for me. It feels really good as it's only half of the day so I can catch up on things in the afternoon but it helps me to get through the month without "I cannot do this anymore" tantrums.
- finish an unfinished project. The other day I took a pile of unfinished key rings and got them ready for the shop. It took only 2 hours and felt great! One less project that is hanging around asking for attention.
- re-write the list of orders and prioritize. I find it very helpful to re-write my lists as looking at a messy list equals messy mind!
- communicate better with a customer. Email a customer to make sure they know when the order will be ready or if you are running late. That helps a lot when you are stress out thinking that the order was placed last week and you still haven't started! On a busy month, I always ask customers if there is a date they need it by... I had lovely understanding customers who placed order in advanced and there were no reason at all for me to stress out:) Most often I send orders out way before the deadline but at Christmas time the days just fly by!
- make a list of the new ideas that don't leave your head and constantly circling around creating the make-me-make-me noise.. You don't have time to make them now but when time comes to plan the new collections, this list will be of a great help.
- Get your confidence back by reading feedback in your shop, left by happy customers who love what you do! Moments of the self-doubt, everyone get those so fight them back by reminding yourself that your are doing what you love, your are creating things that make other people happy and you are working for the strictest but loving boss - yourself!
- catch up with a friend. A quick coffee and a chat will take only a couple of hours but those few hours might prevent the burn out. Works magic for me!
- read a favourite magazine but outside, on the park bench.
- wear something nice all day. Go put something nice on that makes you feel good. Most of the time, you can find me in the studio in my pink pjs or an old tee (not a glamorous designer in her studio look, sorry!). Sometimes that is what brings me a bit down so I go change in something pretty, go outside to read a magazine, come back feeling great and ready to create something lovely!
That what works for me.
What works for you when you feel like you are loosing your creative spark?







That lovely inspiring picture at the top of your post was exactly what I needed...thank-you xx
ReplyDeleteFor me looking through my inspirational magazines, books, or even pinterest brings me back into my creativemode.
ReplyDelete