Sunday, May 20, 2012

Plushka's fabric stash

 

A few days ago I read this post and had a good look at my stash.... 
I have to confess, I do have a serious fabric  buying addiction! I see a new print and have to have it. Fabric shopping for me is something I do weekly. How many prints I buy yearly? I am afraid it will be more then a 100! I always find a good excuse to get more prints for my stash using my handmade business as an excuse..... The voice in my head usually says something along these lines: 
"This fabric is perfect for an elephant so you have to get this one. Oh, that one matches the colour of that felt that you have. Don't forget that you can fit a few more yards in the envelope and save on postage! "

It time to stop! Now, every time I want to buy something, I will take a few pictures of my stash to get a reality check! 

Liberty fabric stash

all sort of prints, yet to be used!

love the red, navy and grey together

how can you say no to the toadstool print?

I know, from reading other blogs, that most of the handmade business owners have this problem (is it a problem though?). We stock up and this is our main business expense. However, I am wondering....
Is it vital to have a huge stash to have a successful handmade business? 
What do you think? 

6 comments:

  1. And what a lovely stash you have too!!! There is way to many goreous fabrics out there! It is very hard to resist hey... good luch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so, but I am equally guilty of having far too many beads(and still wanting more!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe it is :-) I feel like I have a huge stash but compared to most others I see pictures of, mine is really quite small. I think it is essential to have a decent amount of stock to draw inspiration from or have on hand when inspiration strikes! I also have my fabric on display so I see it everyday and get ideas from it...To get my fabric fix, sometimes I gather pictures off fabric stores online, arrange them in a collage and put them on my desktop (on the PC) to see everyday! And if buying fabric makes you happy, keeps you inspired and isn't worrying you financially or storage wise, why not make it a weekly habit!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it is quite big, I love my stash! It does inspire me every day. Fabric shopping does make me very happy but, storage wise and financially, I have to start downsizing. I hope to find a "perfect size" for my stash that helps me to create but doesn't take all the space!

      Delete
  4. Totally need a big stash to be successful! But seriously, I have a small stash, and therefore must go to the shops for nearly every project - I usually don't have the right amount, or right colour, etc. to make what I want to make (and then of course there's thread, zippers, etc.). So to be able to just create when the moment strikes needs a good stash on hand!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's the quality of your stash and not the quantity but it's my personal shopping things I love liberty of London fabric and I could buy a lot do stash for my craft instead of one yard at a time. I love small quantity with different fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment!

I do read every single comment you leave and appreciate it very much!