Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Plushka's story: Getting started and where it all began...

Previously on “Plushka’s story”:
....I also thought that cross-stitch creations will be the main product line in my shop as I've been cross-stitching since I was 12. However, something exciting happened in mid 2010 that changed my creative direction completely.....
 *  *  *  *
Starting a little shop for my hobby craft passion seamed like a great idea as, after my first ever sewing machine was given to me as a birthday gift, nothing could stop me! I made my first bag, pegs holder and a few more experimental projects. However, for a year or so I didn't feel confident enough to start selling my items so most of them were given to friends.
It was after I started blogging and met some wonderful people from craft community that I felt inspired to open my shop. As I mentioned in the previous post, I  thought I just make and sell what I feel like making, mainly with cross-stitch but I was also obsessed with making fabric buttons so some button hair ties were created too. I got hooked on making appliques and fabric yo-yos and it just snowballing from there....
The more techniques I discovered and learned the more I wanted to create. I felt great doing again what I used to love and enjoy back home. It made me feel all cozy and myself again, something I didn’t feel for some time. Moving to another country started taking its toll but craft made a new place where I lived feel like home.

Then, I discovered Shop Handmade in Canberra, it was just opening it’s doors and was inviting designers to apply. I had things piling up after a few markets and I thought why not send my application?! 
When I got excepted, I felt like I can really call myself a handmade designer! I send my parcel off and never looked back. Being in the shop motivated me to create more and come up with new ideas. I had a little shelf to fill and my hair ties, appliqués and clips could only take so much space. 
I remember talking to mum on the phone one day saying that I need a new creation that would be different and fun. She reminded me how we sew together a toy for my school friend and I really enjoyed helping her. Designing my own toy really appealed to me. I love drawing and stitching and I could use felt that I only just discovered that year. That’s when my felt owls were born. Why an owl? Owls were very popular in 2010 and there were so many fabrics with owls in my stash so I felt inspired to draw one in my style and use some of those cute Japanese prints I adored. 
Receiving a list of the sold items from the shop felt so good and encouraging. The possibility of  being handmade business owner didn't feel unreal and unachievable anymore!

That how it all began...

Did I know back then that it will take me good 2 years to set up the business and discover what actually sells? 
Not really, but I was very determined that if I will keep doing what I love, work hard, it will produce a result.... but more on what I learned in the last 3 years in the next posts... 

Hope you are enjoying reading the Plushka's story so far!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story behind Plushka. I'm sure sharing your story will inspire others to take the plunge. Best wishes Katia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for Sharing your journey Katia. I am starting a new venture now, www.thecraftgallery.com.au, so these posts are very timely insipration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving reading about how you got to where you are. Very interesting and inspiring.
    Can't wait for the next instalment :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment!

I do read every single comment you leave and appreciate it very much!