Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fellow Madeit Sellers who blog - Paluma Print

As you probably know, Plushka loves screenprinted fabric! 
I enjoy discovering new designs and see what they create with their fabric is very inspiring. I saw Paluma Print shop on Madeit front page and fell in love with inspired by nature prints....

Please welcome Helen, the designer behind these beautiful creations! 



Why did you decide to start a blog?
 I started in late 2009 when I finished work, moved back to Queensland (from Melbourne) and started my screenprinting studio. So I have been blogging more than two years now. Looking back the reason for starting I think was to document my progress – as much for me as for anyone else. A  kind of visual diary.

Is there a story behind the name of your blog?
Paluma is the name of a small village set in the tropical rainforest near Townsville, north Queensland. I first started screen printing textiles in north Queensland in the late eighties, inspired by the beautiful environment, and established the label PalumaPrint for a range of hand printed T shirts.  After 30 years in the working world, I have now returned to this art form full time but I no longer do T shirts – focussing now on homewares (tea towels and placemats)  and handbags and purses.  My inspiration remains with native flora – I just can’t seem to move away from that – so many more designs to create. But one day I want to do some marine inspired prints (as I currently live by the sea) .



Have your blogging style changed since you've started? 

I don’t think so. Although it is primarily for me, I do try to make it interesting for any other internet passers by.  
Do you think blogs are moving to the second place now since Facebook business/social pages are becoming more popular? 
Possibly – I don’t think blogs are really the best tool for marketing small business anymore – definitely overtaken by Facebook and Twitter now. But nothing beats a blog for a good read and for gathering inspiration from others – so I will still keep writing mine and reading others.

Do you have a blogging routine or any themes that you join?
No perhaps I should. My blog is a bit random and completely unplanned.  Serendipity plays a bit part. I write about whatever takes my fancy but I do try to blog with some regularity – currently every fortnight. I think that part is important and I have started featuring other screenprinters from around the world from time to time in my posts.
What are your 5 most favourite blogs to visit and why?
Screenprinting blogs naturally. And my "must reads" are:
Interesting that they are all Australian!



Any tips for the bloggers who just started? 
Just do it! And try to be regular in your posts so you can build up a following.  And I think if I were starting now I would build in links to Facebook and Twitter as part of setting up the blog  (especially if marketing your business is important to you). And make sure it’s fun and doesn't become a chore.
Thank you Helen for "coming in for a chat", it's been a pleasure getting to know you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment!

I do read every single comment you leave and appreciate it very much!