Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday Stash....how to keep it under control or at least try!

My fabric stash

Yes, I am still trying to fight back my growing stash! I read a lot of different opinions about how a stash need to be organized, kept clean and protected from the sun (fading)....
Why am I concerned? It seams sometimes that it's all waisted time trying to get it under control.
I read that there are three signs  that you have too much fabric and it's taking over your house: 
- you are defensive about your stash
-you are not using your craft space for crafting and move to free spaces away from the mess
-stash doesn't fit into space you have

I said YES to all of them! My personal opinion is that when you start making to sell and buy fabric to keep in stock for orders, it's normal to have a few fabrics that will never be used. It's all comes with time and working out your collections and style, then you will start buying smarter. I accept that 10% of my stash might not be used but what if you don't use half of it?!

New boxes

True up website has plenty of posts with advice on how to de-clutter etc. I just thought I'd write a little summary of what I read and add what works for me: 
*organize by color or by size - yet to be explored by me.
*write index cards - cut little square, staple to the index card with the amount bought and designer, take it with you shopping to avoid buying the same fabric twice. I so far manage to remember all my fabrics. Maybe, it means my stash is not big enough;)?!
* organise by the type - Japanese, vintage, Christmas 
* keep fabric in the zip-bag with labels. It didn't really work for me, I prefer see-trough containers as plastic bags tend to slide and fall of the shelves.
*buy in bundles - I found that if I buy 3-4 fabrics from the same range, I am more likely to use them.
*buy scraps, packs, kits, charm squares and rolls if you don't want to have fabric left over after the project

Here are a few more links that I hope you'll find helpful:
how to make fabric brochure 
10 steps to decluttered stash
organizing your space for quilters
 great post about organizing stash by size or by colour
arranging up your yarn stash 
'In color order' blog with great links and tips - almost covers all you need;)
last but not least, organizing fat quarters


Do you have any helpful links or tips? 
Do you follow any rules when you buy fabric? 

Happy Sunday and I wish you a well-behaved stash! 

1 comment:

  1. I just want to sit in your studio and soak up the wonderful colours of your stash! So inspirational and I would imagine calming!
    Love Sandra.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment!

I do read every single comment you leave and appreciate it very much!