One week into my Fabric Rehab. I limited the size of my stash according to my project list and the quantity of the fabric that I can fit into two storage containers that I already have (as buying more is not an option).
I measure fabric and put it in the separate bags. On the bag’s exterior, I label the size of the fabric, its fibre content, where it was purchased, and the cost. I hope that now I will be able to see each fabric at a glance without digging which will save time and frustration.
I was so happy that I organised everything, but I stayed up late researching the fabric storage solutions and found a few people saying different things like (I quote):
"DON'T STORE FABRIC IN AIRTIGHT PLASTIC!!!! Fabric needs to breathe. Fold fabric to fit on a shelf and put a little wrapper of muslin around it, to keep dust off. To make a visual reference of what you have, cut a triangle off one corner, glue it to a 3x5 card, and note down how much you have. Also, note on the card cleaning/washing instructions, where you bought it, and ow much you paid"
"Regarding fabric storage using plastic storage containers, I suggest making small air holes all over them. This allows the fabric to breathe and saves synthetics from yellowing."
Don't Use Cardboard "Never store your stash on cardboard bolts as they are not made from acid-free cardboard. These boards will discolor your fabric if you let it 'age sufficiently on the bolts,' as my friend stated it. I hope this helps."
I also found a great website Fabric Organiser that illustrates the fabric storage option. Looks pretty good.

However, I am even more confused whether I am doing the right thing storing my fabric in plastic boxes! How do you store your treasures?






Gosh! I have my fabric in a large plastic tub... I have the lid off often so hope that lets it breathe ;)
ReplyDeleteI am doing well on the fabric rehab front. In the last week I only bought 1.5 meters of solids to go with my novelty fabrics for a quilt.
I was not so good when it came to the knitting stash. 1200g of 8 ply cotton, 8 balls of coloured wool blend, and 5 balls of white wool....
I am trying my hardest too. I bought only a few meters of Amy Butler’s fabric from her new collection and some fabric for Amy (Badskirt) as she is trying to raise some spend money for her trip to Japan:)
ReplyDeleteI had to come back and confess...
ReplyDeleteI forgot that I ordered 2.5 meters of some Sandi Henderson fabric and 2 Oliver+S patterns!! It was on sale from a friend if that makes it better?
Maybe I will do better next week LOL